Friday, April 27, 2007

If I didn't have Christ

A friend of mine is going through a really hard time right now. Her son made some seriously bad decisions and now he has to pay for it. We found out about it last night and I haven't stopped thinking about it. I don't know what my role in this other than support. I believe he knows what he did is wrong, I believe he knew it when it happened. I am struggling with a few things right now...my first responsibility is to my husband and my children. I know this. I will be very cautious about what is said in front of my children and very cautious about what they believe is right about what is going (if they were to hear anything). I also believe this has been a wake-up call for my friend. She is married to someone who is not a Believer but he is willing to go to Church. I believe this may be the catalyst to get them all into Church. I guess I think this is where I come in. I attend a great Church and think the Youth Group there is amazing...our Youth Minister is totally willing to meet with this family (mind you he's never met them) and totally willing to work with them.

Ok...this is so a brain dump post...but I did meet with our youth minister today and he had really good things to say...here are a couple:

1 You ARE who you hang out with. Like it or not, if you associate yourself with good people, inadvertantly you could become good ;). Likewise, if you hang out with hoodlums you could become a hoodlum. It's not that you started out thinking what they were doing is ok...I guess I can give an example here: I waited tables at a restaurant. I started out STRONG in my Faith, in my convictions and my beliefs...but the more I worked there, the more tolerant I became. I started being "ok with it" as long as I didn't participate. As I watched myself in this situation I knew I could become more than an observer. I could end up participating...at that point, it was time to leave...I have been toying with the idea of going back...I believe I am not supposed to go back. I can't be around that lifestyle.

2. Do you believe in a God that comes down from Heaven and points a finger at you and says "YOU SHOULDN"T BE DOING THAT, YOU ARE BAD, YOU CAN"T DO THAT KIND OF THING" Or do you believe in a God that comes down from Heaven looks at you and says "My precious, precious child, the decisions you are making are not what you are about. The decisions you are making are not good ones and that is not what you want for yourself. They are not what I want for you either."

Sorry for the brain dump...I am a little sad, upset, worried, prayerful, annoyed, angry...many other adjectives come to mind...I just know this kid and he needs some serious love and discipline and hopefully this is going to set him right...not the other way.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I don't know the situation with your friend. But I am sure her heart is broken and she is scared. I know this because that is where I am right now. My daughter made a bad choice, and when confronted did not confess, again and again. I am still processing all that is going on, eventually (probably soon) it will all be on my blog. She has finally admitted the truth to me. She will have to face consequences, but if she takes responsibility and asks for forgiveness things will be better for her. It is hard for us to know where to turn for help. I do know what is getting me through all of this is the support we are receiving. I was leaving the school with her and the big, tough security guard stopped to give me a hug and tell me it would be ok. He will never know how much that meant to me.
There is an email link from my blog. If you or your friend would like to write me I would be willing to lend my support.
In the meantime I will be praying for all of them.

Crystal said...

hey you!!! I know how you feel --the situations are so differant but I can't tell you how much I cried and cried and I could not sleep knowing my friend Amy was in so much pain--I cannot even express how sad the funeral was. Amy is one of the sweetest people I have ever known --she is the only person Sophie would go to when we came home!!! She believes in God and only God knows but I don't think she is saved-- but she is seeking now more than ever--she said she was relying on God to get her thru this. I vowed to God I would do whatever I could and I would take care of her. This is kinda my brain dump!!! So sorry I went on and on my heart is till so heavy--I just wanted to Thank you for your support it means the world to me!!!! Thank you Tam--I hope all is going well at your house with your kiddos!!! Hugs to you!!!!