Wednesday, February 7, 2007

BOOKS FOR THE YEAR

So I have been reading a lot of posts of people who are trying to read more this year. I have had a true love of books my entire life (at least as long as I can remember). My mom once told me an uncle of mine didn't believe I could read (I think I was too young to really be considered a reader) and so she saw the word "screwdriver" on a piece of paper...she asked me to read it in front of my uncle...I of course, obliged saying "screwed river". I didn't say I was intelligent, just that I could read. I also was told of the time my mom and dad argued with me for a LONG time about the name of the bird that repeats things...I said my teacher told me it was a MUNKINGBIRD. My parents, obviously, argued with me it was a MOCKINGBIRD. *SIGH* I was of course RIGHT, I knew everything, and there is no arguing with a teacher, let alone a child of 6 or whatever. Anyway, that all being said, I decided I enjoyed reading, I love books, the knowledge I get from books, the majority of what I gain intelligently is from books...thus the new books I have read are starting to grow in number and style. I just finished reading "The Read~Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease...and now, I finished "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. I am also reading "The Tale of Despareaux" by Kate DiCamillo. All three of these books are MUST reads! I am about to start "Sheperding Your Child's Heart" and "How to Get Your Child to Love Reading" by Esme something or other...she also wrote "Teaching Esme". I just love books...I also bought "The Case for Christ for Kids" I can't wait to do this one with the kids! I am loving this...I go to Goodwill JUST looking for books...YUM! Do I sound a little obsessive? Yes, probably! :)

2 comments:

Elizabeth S said...

We should read "Shepherding your Child's Heart" together. That would be a good start to this Bible study thing! Ha! Like either of us has time. Maybe we should make time ; ) Love ya.

Rachel said...

hey there! I LOVED The Tale of Despereaux. It was such a sweet story. I also love to read & spend the majority of my free time reading it. You will love Shepherding a Child's Heart. We read it for a class in seminary & it was so challenging & eye-opening. You should read The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale--it's such a great fairy tale story...one of my favorites! And I also love everything by Roald Dahl. Ok--I could go on for hours. I love talking about books :) Have a great day!